What is ISO 50001?
ISO 50001 energy management system (EnMS) certification provides a framework for establishing energy management best practices to help organisations to improve their energy performance, including energy efficiency, use, and consumption. It is especially important following increased customer interest in net zero and carbon emissions following COP26.
The standard enables organisations to demonstrate their commitment to improving energy efficiency and to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions:
- Establish frameworks for maintaining and building energy and cost savings.
- Support organizational efforts to reduce energy consumption.
- Help organisations migrate to net zero through reduced carbon emissions.
- Deliver cross-site energy efficiencies and effectively monitor energy use.
- Create a sustainable organizational culture.
What are the benefits of ISO 50001?
With customer and business focus on energy efficiency, carbon emissions, and net zero, stakeholders, shareholders, and customers are looking to organisations to actively monitor, control, and reduce energy usage. In addition to enhanced reputation, more efficient energy usage can reduce costs and reduce the risks of energy price spikes and supply interruption.
ISO 50001 certification allows organisations to:
- Reduce energy usage by up 10% within the first 12 months.
- Reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and carbon footprint.
- Assist in compliance with current and future voluntary or mandatory energy efficiency targets.
- Improved corporate image and reputation among customers, clients and stakeholders.
- Inform decision-making processes from system design through to operation and maintenance.
- Increase energy awareness among staff members at all levels.
- Improve operational efficiencies and maintenance practices.
What industries implement ISO 50001?
ISO 50001 is suitable for all types and sizes of organisations – from SMEs to government organisations and international corporations.
The internationally recognised standard is used by many industry sectors, with a focus on high-energy organisations such as manufacturing, transport, hospitality, technology and construction.
ISO 50001 has been structured to be aligned with other popular industry management system standards, so it is possible to integrate an EnMS with your existing management system(s).
ISO 50001 certification
- Achieve ISO 50001 certification with an internationally accredited certification body.
- Measure, manage and reduce energy use and lower operational costs.
- Reduce carbon emissions to meet environmental regulations and targets.
- Demonstrate environmental credentials for tender applications and win customer trust.
- Suitable for all types and sizes of organisations – from SMEs and charities to corporates.